Old Photos
Photo Albums
History - Establishment
What is new
Site Map

Crkva sv. Vlaha u Janjini

Kip sv. Vlaha  -  Državni grb na Kneževu dvoru u Janjini

Crkvica sv. Stjepana

Crkva sv. Vlaha u Janjini - Sv. Ante moli za nas

Cultural Monuments of Janjina

Parish Church of St. Blaise (sv. Vlaho)

Construction of the parish church began 26-4-1876. The cornerstone was blessed by the senior priest of the area, Rev. Mato Štuk, the parish priest of Orebić. Earlier, on the same location was a small church of St. John, and even earlier, a small chapel of St. Nicholas.

Dedication of the new church building was celebrated 1-5-1878. The truly imposing church, constructed in Gothic style, was built by the local builder Nikola Bjelovučić, (son of Stjepan Bjelovučić), under the administration of the Mayor of Janjina, Captain Vlaho Jasprica.

The people of Janjina bought the church’s main altar in Split, in 1892, from the workshop of Pavao Bilinić. The church’s pipe organ was purchased in 1909, from the firm called Rieger. The present bells date from the year 1921, as the ones from 1878 were taken by the Austrian authorities, during the First World War. In 1929, the top (pyramid-shaped) part of the bell tower, was rebuilt with limestone brought from the neighbouring island of Korčula. The original top of the tower was a timber construction and by 1929 it needed replacement.

Parish Church of St. Blaisev


Church of St. Stephen (sv. Stjepan)


Many times rebuilt/restored, the church (chapel) of St. Stephen, at Janjina’s cemetery, is still being used today. Although the earliest historical records of it are from the year 1222 AD, the church is considerably older than that. It is believed that it originates from the pagan times, because a Roman tombstone, from the 1st century AD, had been found in its immediate vicinity, as well as some Roman coins and other objects from the Roman period. That the church has been renovated or rebuilt very early can be seen from its bell, which records the year 1414. A nobleman, Andriko Lukarić had built a monastery next to the church in 1360. Today the monastery no longer exists. In 1891 the local people rebuilt the church once again. They rebuilt it on the old foundations, so that original shape was not changed.
Church of St. Stephen (sv. Stjepan)


Ducal Palace


In 1465, the government of the Republic of Dubrovnik built the so-called “Knežev dvor” [Ducal Palace], with the Republic’s Coat of Arms and the statue of its patron saint -- St. Blaise, on its facade. Beside the administrator’s office and his living quarters, the building also contained a prison cell, an armory and a storage room. The same year the government formed an administrative area called “Janjinska Kapetanija” [Captainate of Janjina], through which it exercised its administrative and judicial authority. In recent times, historians have been saying that Janjina was never the centre of the administrative area called “Knežija” and therefore never was the seat of a “Knez” [Duke]. According to the laws of the Republic of Dubrovnik, only the area around the town of Ston formed a “Knežija”. It seems that the rest of Pelješac, was administratively divided into two Captainates, one of Janjina and the other of Trstenica (todays Orebić).

Statue of St. Blaise on the Ducal Palace

Old unused stone column from the quarry of Osobljava. The length 6.5m, diameter 0.75m



Janjina's Maritime Heritage